DATE, TIME AND LOCATION
Monday 29th July - Friday 2nd August, 11am - 5.30pm each day
6 Broadway Market Mews, London, E8 4TS
The workshop will take place in our studio just behind Broadway Market. It's about 15 minutes walk from Bethnal Green tube station, 7 minutes from London Fields and Cambridge Heath overground stations.
Learn professional jacket construction techniques making the Made to Sew, Paxton Jacket
. The Paxton Jacket can be made in your choice of leather, vegan leather or fabric; complete kits are available to purchase.
During the course you will learn to understand the concept of speed tailoring and how you can apply these techniques to future garments. The pattern is designed to be constructed from leather and therefore is created without any hand-sewing; however hand-sewing techniques may be adopted should individuals prefer (must be working with fabric).
Learn how to sew leather or vegan leather to create a professionally finished garment. The jacket is fully lined, constructed with a bagged lining technique. You will learn how to sew a notched collar, attach a front zip-fastening, introduce a zip-fastened welt pocket and zip-fastened gussets on the sleeve cuffs.
STUDENTS WILL LEARN:
+ Tips for working with leather or vegan leather
+ How to construct a professional jacket
+ Speed tailoring techniques
+ Sew a notched collar
+ Create zip-fastened welt pockets
+ Insert zips and gussets into sleeve cuffs
+ Introduce a front zip-fastening
+ How to use and attach shoulder pads and sleeve heads
+ Bagged lining technique
+ Expert professional finishes not usually found in dressmaking patterns
+ A copy of the Paxton Jacket
pattern and a detailed instruction booklet.
+ Sewing machine and the usual dressmaking tools such as tape measures, fabric scissors, thread, pins etc
+ Use of all tools including our Pfaff Quilt Ambition 2.0 sewing machines. If you'd prefer to bring your own machine then that is absolutely fine but please make sure you have a walking foot!
STUDENTS WILL NEED TO BRING:
- Leather Sewing Kit (if using leather or vegan leather)
- Notebook and Pen
- Spare needles (our kits use a Universal Needle 90/14, should you be working with your own leather please bring a selection of Universal and Leather Needles)
- Fitted Paxton Jacket toile (we recommend fitting the Paxton Jacket in advance of the class, you are welcome to bring the sample toile to Day 1 or contact Aneka in advance of the course should you have any fitting questions)
-Material: 3 leather skins (totalling 3 square metres) OR 2 metres fabric (150cm wide)
- Lining: 2 metres (150cm wide)
- Shoulder Pads: 1 pair (or wadding to make own)
- Sleeve Heads: 1 pair (or wadding to make own)
- Zippers (recommend 5mm teeth):
- 1 x open ended zipper - 55cm (this can be longer and cut to size)
- 1 x 10cm closed ended zipper
- 3 x 12cm closed ended zipper
- 1 x 15cm closed ended zipper
- Thread (for sewing lining, fabric or leather and topstitching)
- Leather Adhesive (if working with leather)
- Optional: Press Studs and tool for attaching